Monday, September 6, 2010

Hwajangshil

Hwajangshil in Korean means toilet. There is no better way to ask how to get to the bathroom. It is not like English where there is like 20 different was with little girls room and ladies room and powder room or rest room and everything, it is just one word for both men and women. For those of you who have seen my apartment video you know I have a pretty average toilet. Same with the work restrooms. It wasn't until I went to the Gossi Caves that I witnessed this and since then I have been informed it is not uncommon to see this.
This first video is rather tame and then I was afraid of someone coming in so the second video is separate and without commentary ( I mean how weird would it be if you walked in and see someone discussing the toilet on a video camera??)




So to specify how you use this is you kind of do a super serious squat and crouch over it. The toilet paper is placed so that there is no complication in retrieving it ( it is at an appropriate placement and height). And then you stand up and press the pedal with your foot. When I saw this I laughed myself silly until someone noticed and I had to pretend my little flip travel alarm clock was a phone and I was replying to a text ;;

Edit - apparently men's bathrooms are very much the same to quote my fellow EPIK teacher " squattie potties are against my religious beliefs"

No comments:

Post a Comment